The weather has been amazing this weekend. Highs in the mid- 60’s and this morning was a cozy 45. Perfect for snuggling up with a cup of coffee.
Yesterday was really productive. I was up early and we headed out for a long walk.
The leaves are starting to change. After our walk, I headed out for a run. The walk was the perfect warm up.
The cooler air definitely made it easier to run longer. I’m hoping I can keep that momentum up next week!
While making dinner and watching football, it felt like the right time to crack open a beer. I’m really into the Omission beers. After sifting through all the gluten free options out there, this is by far my favorite because it’s real beer.
We busted out one of the fun Christmas Gifts we got a couple years ago. Now on to the super simple and delicious dinner we made!
Pasta Penne, as my mother-in-law has coined it, is one of our favorite weeknight or easy weekend dinner options. It only takes a few ingredients, it’s relatively healthy, and it’s so warm and wonderful.
I chopped a medium onion, minced 3 cloves of garlic, and cubed a block of part-skim mozzarella.
With a drizzle of olive oil, I cooked the onions over medium heat until starting to brown. I added the garlic and cooked for an additional 1-2 minutes. Then I opened a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes and dumped it in.
I added basil and pepper to taste, about a 1/2 teaspoon of each and then let it simmer to merry the flavors. While this is cooking, I boiled water and cooked a box of gluten free pasta. Yes, I know in the photos it’s an elbow noodle and not penne. I just used what I had in the pantry, but traditionally, penne noodles work great!
Once it has cooked for another 2 minutes or so, I topped on the cubed mozzarella. Then I just let it melt through, about 5 more minutes.
I added the pasta to a large baking dish, then mixed in the cheese and tomato mixture. It mixes best when the pasta is still hot. Sprinkle the top with parmesan cheese, and bake at 400 for 10 minutes, then broil for an additional 2 or until top is lightly browned.
Cheesy, bubbly, goodness! All in less than 30 minutes.
Gluten Free Pasta Penne Bake
- 1 8oz block of part-skim mozzarella, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon basil, fresh or dried
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 box gluten free penne or pasta of choice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cook onions in olive oil until slightly browned. Add in garlic and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes and juice from can to onions, stir, then add in pepper and basil. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Salt a pot of water well, boil, and cook pasta according to directions. Drain.
- Add mozzarella to tomato and onions, and cook on medium-low until melted through.
- Toss pasta with sauce in a large baking dish. Sprinkle parmesan on top to taste.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes to heat through, then broil for 1-2 minutes until browned.
I’ve added a Thanksgiving Tracker! Can’t believe it’s only a couple weeks away.
Hope everyone has a great start to the week!