I was wrapping up my trip from Indianapolis while I was delayed at the Kansas City airport and had snacks on the brain. I hadn’t been able to find a real gluten free meal for lunch, so I tried a couple new things I could find at the terminals. Definitely not all healthy, but it was fun to try new brands.
These crispy Lucy’s cinnamon thin cookies were pretty good. If you have an allergy to more than one item, this brand is an nice choice. I prefer a chewy cookie, but if you have a sweet tooth, this will do in a pinch!
I also came across Second Nature’s berry cherry medley mixed in with all the candy options at a small kiosk. Dried fruit still has a ton of sugar, but it’s definitely the better alternative to candy. I think this would be great mixed with some almonds and gf pretzels for a trail mix.
All this snack hunting got me thinking about my overall snacking habits.
Snacking is where I tend to get off track with my healthy eating and weight loss goals. When that 2pm slump hits and I don’t have anything healthy around, that’s when I get in to trouble!
I’ve started to pack and plan out my snacks in the morning before work, and this seems to do the trick! When hunger stricks, I know I will have something healthy and gluten free on hand to hold me over until my next meal. Here are some of my favorite go to snacks:
- Baby carrots and Sabra spicy hummus. It’s packed with protein and the crunch of the carrots help me starve off chip cravings.
- Chobani Greek yogurt and Udi’s Gluten Free Vanilla Granola. Greek yogurt is always stocked in my fridge. Topped with a small scoop of granola, it’s the perfect sweet crunchy/creamy combo to keep me going!
- Popcorn! I usually make my own on the stove. It’s really easy and way healthier than the microwave stuff. Popcorn has fiber to help fill you up and you can have a lot for minimal calories. Sometimes I like something with a bit more flavor. Have you tried this mix below? It’s amazing. Check out G.H. Cretors brand. The salty sweet combo takes care of all of my cravings.
- Cheese and crackers: I don’t think I could live without cheese. My low-fat alternative when I’m craving cheese is a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese and a handful of Multi-seed Nut-Thins. I am loving the Spicy Pepper Jack Laughing Cow flavor right now. It definitely has a kick!
- Smoothies: I always have spinach, frozen veggies, protein powder, and Greek yogurt on hand! Sometimes I make a smoothie for lunch, but if I am looking for a snack with staying power, this is definitely the way to go. You can find my cherry smoothie recipe here.
What are your go to healthy snacks?