This is seriously the easiest bread to make gluten free. The cornmeal helps balance out any gluten free flour you choose to use, so the flavor and texture are great every time! Want to know where to get the recipe? Look on the side of your cornmeal can! *I use Quaker Cornmeal.
Just mix together your dry ingredients of gluten free all purpose flour, cornmeal. baking powder, salt, and sugar.
Then add in your wet ingredients: milk, egg, canola oil, and any fillings. This time I chose 2% fat cheddar cheese but chopped fresh jalapeno are awesome in here too!
Pour into a greased square pan and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. I usually make the cornbread during the last 30 minutes of cooking for my chili and tortilla soup recipes. That way everything is hot and ready to go!
The top will lightly brown when done. Cut up into squares and you have a super easy and quick side!
Easy Gluten Free Cornbread
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose gluten free flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg, beaten (or two egg whites)
- 1/4 cup 2% cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degree and lightly grease or spray a square baking dish.
- Mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- Add in egg, milk, and oil, and mix thoroughly.
- Mix in cheese or any other additions.
- Pour batter into pan and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.