How’s it goin’?
It been pretty busy on my end, but I wanted to share this pot roast recipe I tried a few weekends ago.
I love a good pot roast!
It reminds me of being home and my mom cooking. Definitely comforting on a colder day, and the best part is this one can be done is a slow cooker!
I used a 2-3 pound chuck roast, 5 small russet potatoes, 4 carrots, an onion, and a whole bunch of yummy seasonings!
I diced up all the veggies into big chunks and set them aside while I seared the meat.
Even though I used the slow cooker, I still like to sear the meet first to give it extra flavor. I just salted, peppered, and put a bit of olive oil in a big pot. I turned the heat to high and seared the meat for 2 minutes on each side.
I placed the meat in the bottom of the crock pot, and then threw in all of the chopped veggies. Now for the fun part!
I added two cups of gluten free beef broth, and one cup of good merlot to the crock pot. Then I added 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, and a sprinkle of Italian seasoning. Then for my favorite two herbs, I added 1/2 teaspoon thyme and a 1/2 teaspoon rosemary. The both go so well with the red wine.
I put on the lid and let it cook on high for about 5 hours. Once it was done, I set the temp to warm, and I made a gravy on the stove using the warmed broth and some gluten free flour. The trick is to whisk quickly to avoid any lumps. Then you can add this mixture back into the crock pot to thicken all of the broth, or you can serve it separately on the side to top the pot roast. Yum!
Crockpot Gluten Free Pot Roast
- 2-3 pound chuck roast
- 4 carrots, cut into big chunks
- 1 onion, cut into quarters
- 4-5 russet potatoes, cut into big chunks
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup good red wine, such as Merlot
- 1/2 teaspoon each of salt, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, and rosemary
- A sprinkle of Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- gluten free flour for gravy (optional)
- Salt and pepper the beef on both sides. Place in a hot pan and sear on either side for 2 minutes. Place meet in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Top beef with all chopped veggies, beef broth, wine, and seasonings.
- Cook on high for 5 hours.
- If desired, make a gravy using some of the cooked broth.
- Serve with crusty gluten free bread and enjoy!
Happy Hump Day!
2 thoughts on “Crockpot Gluten Free Pot Roast!”
This looks amazing!! My husband and I love roast but we had pepperonis to it. It adds a nice little spice and flavor to it!
Love the addition!