Who’s ready for Christmas?!?
I certainly am. It feels like forever since I have been able to post. Work for me in December and January are particularly crazy, so I look forward to the week and a half off that I have fast approaching. I’m already thinking of all the things I want/need to do with this time off. One of them is to reboot my workout schedule. I’ve been working to get back on track this past week, but it’s been tough!
Peanut and I have been going on lots of walks to try and get back into the swing of things. It’s also a great warm up for me to go on a run after.
We put up all of our Christmas Decorations right after Thanksgiving. We always go and get a fresh tree. The smell just can’t be beat!
One of the dishes I like to make in cold weather is my gluten free lasagna. It’s easy enough to make on a week night. Seriously, it is! No one will know it’s gluten free either!
The end result is cheesy, bubbly, and hearty. Perfect for cold winter nights.
I begin by sauteing a medium chopped onion, and a pound of Italian sausage. I choose to use all sausage and no ground beef. This is purely preference. I just like less meat in my lasagna, and this is super flavorful.
While this is cooking, I prepare the filling and grate the Parmesan cheese. For the filling, I use part-skim ricotta, an egg, part of the grated Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and some parsley for color.
After the sausage is no longer pink, I add in two cloves of minced garlic and a teaspoon of dried basil. Then for my shortcut, I use Prego Heart Smart. It tastes really great in this, saves you time, and most importantly, is gluten free! I use about a bottle and a half. Stir everything together, and let it simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
While the sauce is simmering, I soak the noodles in really really hot tap water for about 15 minutes. This allows them to partially cook and helps everything time right in the oven. This time I used jovial gluten free noodles, but any kind will do! Then for the fun part, layering and cooking!
Doesn’t that look amazing?!?
Easy Gluten Free Lasagna
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 package gluten free lasagna noodles
- teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 15 oz container of part skim ricotta
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- dried parsley
- 2 cans Prego Heart Smart sauce
- 1 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2-3/4 pound of part skim mozzarella
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Saute onion in olive oil for 5 minutes until softened. Add in sausage and cook until no longer pink, about 8 minutes. * I use a fork to break it into small pieces.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine ricotta, 1 cup Parmesan, the egg, salt, pepper, and some dashes of parsley for color. Set aside.
- To the sausage mixture, add the garlic and basil. Then pour in the sauce and stir to combine. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Place noodles in a large dish, cover with REALLY hot tap water, and let sit for 15 minutes. Drain.
- In a baking dish layer 1/3 of the sauce on the bottom then add in order: half of the noodles, half the mozzarella, half of the ricotta mixture, and 1/3 of the sauce. Then layer in order again, placing the remaining sauce on top. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
- Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. I always broil for the last 2 minutes to get the top nice and crispy golden.
- Serve with veggies and gluten free garlic bread. Enjoy!