I was busy this weekend cooking for the BBQ on Monday, but also for the week ahead. I’m a big fan of Rachel Ray Everyday and Eating Well magazines. Both came in the mail and I sat down with my coffee to find some inspiration.
After picking up some veggies from the store, I settled on making mini frittatas for the week’s breakfasts. They are super easy to make, can be customized to what sounds good, and are a healthy way to get some protein in for your first meal.
From start to finish, they only take about 35 minutes to make. I’ve starting making them in cupcake liners for easy clean up and transportation.
Two frittatas are around only 200 calories! These are Nick’s new go to breakfast, so I make them usually every Sunday now. See below for the full recipe =).
I also made a low-calorie dessert for the cookout on Monday. Did you know that you can use a can of sparkling water in place of all ingredients with a cake mix?!? It’s an old southern secret that you can use a can of soda, and a box of cake mix and make a delicious cake or cupcakes. This just replaces the soda with sparkling water. La Croix has some great flavors to choose from. I picked the coconut because the flavor is mild but there are so many possibilities. Do a simple search on the internet and you will find a ton of recipes that others have posted with some great combos. I mixed a box of gluten free Pillsbury Funfetti cake mix and the sparkling water until well-combined. Then baked according to the directions.
For the frosting, I picked up a box of Betty Crocker Homestyle Fluffy White frosting. It’s like a marshmallow frosting, so super light and it only takes boiling water and the mix to make! Really easy. The cake mix makes about 24 cupcakes. With frosting, each cupcake is ONLY 125 calories! Can’t beat that!
Topped with fresh strawberries and blueberries, these are the perfect end to a meal without wrecking all your hard work with exercise and eating right!
- 10 eggs, beaten *you could substitute some of the eggs for egg whites if desired
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1/4 bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sriracha or hot sauce (optional)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 cup low fat cheddar cheese or Parmesan, shredded
- cupcake liners
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Saute onions and peppers in olive oil. Once they are cooked, add in the spinach and cook for an additional two minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, salt, pepper, and sirrachia until well mixed.
- Add a teaspoon of mixed veggies to the bottom of each of the muffin liners.
- Pour egg mixture on top of veggies, about halfway full for each liner.
- Top the eggs with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve warm or room temp.
- Enjoy =)
I like to pair two frittata muffins with some fruit and coffee for a yummy and filling breakfast.
I hope your week is going well! It’s almost Friday!
2 thoughts on “Yummy Eats: Mini Frittatas & Low-cal GF Cupcakes”
Mini frittatas are my favourite make-ahead breakfast! Great tip on the sparkling water; I’ll make sure to try that!
Thank you! I just love having breakfast already made and ready to go each morning, and frittatas are so easy for that!
LikeLiked by 1 person